Journal, lists, links, philosophy, but mostly just good stuff I have found on the web


About Me

My photo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Overtime


I will be retiring from my current job in about one year. I recently held discussions with my Director on the training of a replacement. During the discussion, she mentioned that she was looking for someone who was willing to put in substainial free overtime.
This is a faulty view for several reasons:
1. The proper metric is output, not input; especially for salaried employees.
2. Working two hours per day overtime is a 25% wage rate cut. Employees are, in fact, in business for themselves, selling their labor to the company.
3. It is the responsibility of management to provide sufficient resources to get the job done. If their people have to work overtime, they should either be paid for it at a higher rate or additional resources should be provided. "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

No comments:

Blog Archive